Let's face it, when it comes to the most important things on your wedding day, not much tops the dress. In fact, off hand, we can't think of anything more important (and that even includes the groom).
Every woman has an idea of what their wedding dress should look like, the challenge lies in merging the dream with the reality. Things like a lack of time, designers, or just plain not enough money can all contribute to what seems like an insurmountable problem.
Fortunately, within this piece lies the key to your salvation, a handy 6 step guide to finding the dress of your dreams.
- Take your time. Realistically, unless you've spent the last 6 months of your life with your face pressed against a particular shops window, finding the perfect dress is going to take a while. Start looking early (by early we mean at least 3 months). Give yourself time to shop around, that way not only will you enjoy the experience a whole lot more, you may find something perfect for a little bit less money.
- Shop around. No one expects you to buy the first dress you see, it's your day and you're perfectly entitled to look in as many places as you want for as long as you want. Buying a wedding dress is an unpredictable business; you may find something that looks perfect, but just around the corner could be something that makes it look like a snow beast. You owe it to yourself to look around.
- Think about when you're getting married. We all know beauty is pain, but do you really want to be walking down the isle in the middle of winter in a plunging neckline and miniskirt? Think about the time of year that you're getting married; find something that is both beautiful and wearable when the elements strike. Reschedule your wedding if need be. Just kidding.
- Don't be afraid to look online. For every useless item on the internet, there is a gem. If you're not having any success finding the dress of a lifetime, use Google. You'll be amazed at how many great deals you come across. At the very least, you'll find pictures and dresses to give you a few ideas.
- Go to a dressmaker. A dressmaker can be a fantastic experience for any woman. You walk in, tell them exactly what you want, they take your measurements and hey presto! You're Beyonce. While occasionally on the costly side, a dressmaker will be able to give you exactly what you want. They're usually full of advice and will help you to dress to your body type, making you more beautiful than originally planned!
- Dress to suit your body. We know that you know this already, but it's something worth repeating. While you want people to admire your hourglass figure and shapely bosom, you don't want them to feel like they're at a Dolly Parton concert. Take someone honest with you when you go shopping for your dress, this means a woman.
We wish you the best of luck in your quest, and hope that whatever you choose illuminates the hearts and minds of everyone there, including the groom.